Okay, you've committed to quit smoking, or at least trying to quit smoking, and that is the first step.
Below are some tips to help you succeed.
1) Set a quit date.
* It doesn't have to be today, just set a date. Tell people when you are going to quit so they can help support you.
2) Ask for help.
* Talk to your doctor, friends, family, co workers. Tell them you are quitting smoking and ask them to help you. Call 311- there are lots of free resources for individuals trying to quit smoking.
3) Clean up before you quit.
* Wash all your clothes and throw away all your lighters & ash trays so you won't have triggers to remind you to smoke. Not having a light easily accessible may give you a few minutes to get through the urge.
4) Start a breathing program.
* Pay attention to how you breathe. Breathe deeply for 1-3 minutes daily. Pay attention to how your lungs are working. It may sound silly, but this will make you more intune with how your lung function is improving as you go forward.
5) Replace one habit with another.
* Many people tell me they don't won't to quit smoking because they are scared they'll gain weight. Don't replace smoking with eating! Don't replace smoking with eating! Chose another habit that you can easily incorporate into your day- like exercise, drinking a glass of water, calling a friend etc... Most importantly, make it a healthy habit and something you want to do.