You're probably wondering what I'm talking about, but Nickel was recently named contact allergen of the year by the American Contact Dermatological Society.
So how and why did nickel beat out the competition?
About 6% of Americans suffer from nickel allergy and 15% of all women. We come into contact with nickel on a regular basis through a host of everyday items including cell phones, inexpensive earrings, snaps and buttons on jeans. Nickel salts originally pass into the skin via a break allowing our bodies to become sensitized. The most common route- ear piercings in women.
People with nickle allergy develop an itchy red rash in areas where their skin comes into contact with nickle. For example, on their stomach (snap exposure), cheek (earring contact), or back of neck (necklace clasp exposure).
With gold prices soaring to more than $1000 per ounce, we are likely to see an increase in the incidence of nickle allergy as people try to save on less expensive jewelery alternatives.
Luckily there is an easy test to identify whether an item has nickel or not-Nickel Guard Protect and Detect. This is a solution that will identify if nickel is in the metal.
Finally, if your nickel allergy is severe you may have problems eating certain foods including:
* Nuts and legumes
* Canned Foods
If you suffer from nickel allergy, and you need help managing it, please let me know.